Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a shounen so different and amazing that one simply can never ever duplicate it or rip it off to create something similar. Or we can say it is one of its kind because having a variety in the shounen anime genre is a big thing.
In my previous post, I gave my opinions on why Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is better than Fullmetal Alchemist. One of the reasons was the amazing dialogue writing in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. The writing is impeccable and makes the show break through the mediocrity of the garb known as the shounen genre. The meanings behind some of the quotes are self explanatory while for the others I will give you some context. Because the people who are reading this could have never watched the show and are just looking for great anime quotes. So, needless to say, SPOILER ALERT.
So, I’ll be mentioning some of my favorite quotes from the show. Given the popularity of the anime and the versatility of the dialogues, chances are you might have heard these before. Feel free to use them as your status or captions. Here we go:
BEST QUOTES IN FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD:
1) You regret setting fire to coal because you feel sorry for the tree that died ages ago?
Context: When Edward and Lin find themselves trapped inside Gluttony’s stomach along with Envy, who tells him that in order to escape they need to use the philosopher’s stone to get out. Edward at this point knows the cursed truth about the stones, so he is highly reluctant to follow this plan. This leads to Envy saying this.
2) Friends are all connected to our hearts! You don’t rinse off something that’s stained on your soul.
Context: When All-father grafts the homunculi named Greed in Lin Yao’s body, they become one. Over the course of time, they come to terms with each other and kind of become close. During the final fight when Greed is about to sacrifice himself, Lin, who considers him a friend, advises him not to let go.
3) I thought rain would wash away these pent up feelings. But every drop that hits my face makes me feel more miserable.
4)My Pawn, My Bishop, My Rook, My Knight, & even my queen were taken away from me. But it’s too early for a checkmate.
Context: When Central suspects that Roy mustang is onto their antics, they separate him from his team and send them to different stations. After seeing the chess pieces beside him he thinks about his team members representing each piece.
5) We cannot let a religion and culture so rich in history die out. The death of a culture equates to the death of its people.
6)The Beginning is what comes after the ending. Carve out with your hands a future, filled with hope. Take a step forward into the world we call “Life”.
7)On the day we left, we burnt down the family home and all the familiar things inside because some memories aren’t meant to leave traces.
Context: When the Elric brothers become state alchemists they burn their own house along with all its contents for a fresh start. In a way telling the audience that sometimes even though you have been through bad times just burn away the ties to the past and start a new life.
8) I once lost my soul after engulfing myself in flames of revenge, I can understand well. If he goes on he’ll end up reducing even his own heart with the flames of wrath.
Context: Scar said this to edward elric, he was somehow concerned for Roy. He believes that Roy should not let revenge cloud his judgement. Roy wants to avenge his best friend who was killed by the homunculi, ENVY.
9)A life without pain is meaningless. That’s because no one can gain anything without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it, one shall obtain a more powerful, unmatched heart. A full metal heart.
10) I lived my life by forever following the path that had been set for me. Thanks to the idiosyncrasies of humanity it was at least a life worth living for. And maybe even a life worth dying for.
11) Dear brother to tell you the truth, I am not completely rid of hatred. Yet I am currently trying to help the ones for whom my hatred is directed at: The Amestrians. You once related this to positive and negative flow. But where will I of such conflicting elements within me carried off to?
Context: Scar had lost his brother to the Ishavalan- Amestrian war. His sole purpose in life was to eradicate the Amestrian state alchemist. The unthinkable happened, he is now saving the people he vowed to destroy. This change of heart conflicts Scars’ soul. He will leave the outcome no matter what it is to destiny.
12) Decide your own fate. Stand up and keep moving forward. You’ve got two fine legs on you. You’re strong enough to make your own path.
13) I don’t think of equivalent exchange as a law of the world any more. I think of it as a promise, between my brother and me. A promise that some day, we’ll see each other again.
Context: This dialogue help us under the psyche of a young boy is of a very tender age, who speaks like a true gentleman & is optimistic that at the end of their journey he’ll get back what he truly yearns for: His Body and all the
14) Everything is withing a large stream we cant see. I don’t know if that stream should be called the universe or the world, but from a point of view of something that big, you and I are like ants. We are just “one” within the “all”. But only when those “ones” gather together, can an “all” exist.
Context: The brothers are sent on an island for a test by there new teacher Izumi Curtis, with the aim of finding the answer what does “all is one and one for all” truly mean. The elric brothers went through a tough ordeal. And at the end of the test edward found the answer to the said question.
15) I believe it is beginning to rain.
Context: I only need to say that in this scene man-tears were shed literally as Mustang delivered this emotionally charged one-liner on his best friend’s grave.
If you liked this blog, you can check out my previous blog on the FMA franchise!